Practical tips for avoiding diabetes
1. Wear a pedometer and get 8,000 to 10,000 steps each day.
2. Eat a plant-based diet (seven servings of whole fruits and vegetables every day; at least 14 different types of vegetables each week.
3. Get seven to eight hours of sleep each night.
4. Eliminate high fructose corn syrup and keep added sugars under 25g each day (read food labels)
5. Take 5,000 IU of vitamin D3 every day to get blood levels above 40mg/dl
6. Promote healthy gut bacteria that improve insulin sensitivity by taking a prebiotic or probiotic containing oligofructose and by avoiding aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose.
Source: A. Paul Chous, OD, MA, FAAO
Practical tips for good blood sugar control
- Do everything listed above
- Limit carbohydrate content of any large meal to <30g
- Take 2 TB of apple cider vinegar before meals to lower blood sugar spikes
- Take prescribe medications on time, every time; take rapid-acting insulin at least 15 minutes before eating if required prior to food.
- Fast at least 1 day a week t increase healthy gut bacteria and insulin sensitivity.